This caramel sauce is my current obsession, I will find any reason to use it. Between drizzling it over some ice cream or dipping apple into it you can’t really go wrong. It’s nice and sweet with a hint of saltiness to it. And the best part is it’s much easier to make then it seems.
Salty Sweet Caramel Sauce
Adapted from here.
Makes roughly 6 cups or 2 jars.
1 Cup Water
4 Cups White Sugar
2 Cups Butter cut into Pieces
2 Cups Heavy Cream
1/2 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
Pinch of Salt
- In a sauce pan mix water and sugar over low heat stirring constantly until all sugar is melted.
- Once all sugar is melted bring mixture to a boil over medium high.
- When mixture is boiling cover and let boil for 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes uncover and lower the temperature to medium and continue stirring until the mixture is a caramel/amber colour.
- Once mixture reaches a caramel/amber colour remove from heat and mix in.
- Stir in the heavy cream, vanilla and salt until all combined.
- Let cool and serve over ice cream or a treat of your choice!
In terms of checking to see if the sugar is melted I’ll dip a spoon in and see if the mixture is still grainy or not. As well as long as the colour is somewhere in the caramel to amber range you’re fine the final shade of your sauce can greatly vary. And if when mixing in the heavy cream you find it’s cooled down too much you can put it back over low heat and stir until it’s all combined.