These squares have all the taste of traditional campfire s’mores but without all the mess and fire singed marshmallows. This recipe is pretty much as basic as it gets but it’s full of flavour and can easily be adapted with different varieties of chocolate bars to create a decadent dessert. Without a doubt these will be my go to BBQ cookout dessert this summer.
Adapted from here.
- ½ Cup Salted Butter Softened
- ¾ Cup White Sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/3 Cup White Flour
- ¾ Cup Graham Cracker Crumbs
- 12 Caramilk Bars or plain Hershey’s
- 1 Bag Large Marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350⁰F and coat 9×13 pan with non-sticky spray.
- In mixer mix butter and sugar.
- Mix egg and vanilla in with butter and sugar.
- In separate bowl mix baking soda, salt, flour and graham cracker crumbs.
- Slowly mix dry ingredients into the wet.
- Spread half of mixture in the bottom of 9×13 pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until firm.
- When cooled down make a layer on top of it with the chocolate bars.
- Cut large marshmallows in half and layer them on top of the chocolate.
- Take remaining graham cracker mixture and sprinkle it on top of the marshmallows.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until top is golden.
- Let cool overnight then cut into squares.
The part of this recipe that I can’t stress enough is to let it cool overnight, it takes at least 2-3 hours for the chocolate and marshmallows to cool down; if you try to cut into it when it’s still melty you won’t be able to have it come out as nice squares. As well the individual squares can be microwaved for a minute or two to make it melty and more campfire like.